South Korean President Lee Jae-myung said Tuesday that a solid alliance with the U.S. strengthens the foundation of national security. This was reported by Qazaqyia.kz citing Associated Press.
U.S. President Donald Trump's abrupt order to "substantially reduce" joint military exercises has baffled and concerned many South Koreans.
Trump made the surprise announcement in a social media post just before U.S. and South Korean soldiers began Monday's annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, which are largely designed to sharpen readiness against North Korean threats.
Trump cited what he said was a good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea's refusal to join the U.S. war against Iran.
Trump's move was apparently taken without consultations with South Korea and meant to reach out to Kim, deepening concerns about the reliability of the U.S.-South Korean alliance forged in the turmoil of the 1950-53 Korean War.
Confidence in the U.S. has already eroded among many South Koreans because of Trump's tariff war and last year's immigration raid in the U.S. state of Georgia that led to the detainment of hundreds of South Korean workers.
Trump's announcement "reveals the stark reality of a faltering Korea-U.S. alliance, fueling public anxiety," South Korea's Hankook Ilbo newspaper said in an editorial Tuesday. "It's absurd that the U.S. appears to treat North Korea more respectfully than its ally South Korea."
In a regular Cabinet meeting, South Korean President Lee Jae-myung stressed the importance of a firm military alliance with the U.S., saying that "national security will be further strengthened when the alliance is solid."
"When we build up our strengths, our value and importance as an ally will further grow," said Lee, a liberal who has called for a stronger, self-reliant defense posture.
Trump's slight of South Korea in favor of the North raises broader U.S. security concerns.
