Security arrangements for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex while living in the UK are a "private matter", Andy Burnham has said, after news that Harry and Meghan intend to relocate to Britain from the US this month. This was reported by Qazaqyia.kz citing The Guardian.

The UK prime minister refused to be drawn on security funding, saying: "This is a private matter. It's a matter for Harry and Meghan, and we wish them well in the moves that they're making."

The couple, who moved to North America more than six years ago, will make their home in a non-royal residence outside London. Their children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, are already enrolled at British schools and due to start in September.

King Charles, who was told of the decision on Sunday, is said to welcome the opportunity to see more of his family in a personal capacity. There will be no change in their status as private individuals and non-working royals who do not carry out royal engagements. There is said to be no half-in, half-out option.

Security funding has been a long-running source of tension between Harry and the Home Office, the government department that would decide on such measures. The Times has reported that there are no plans to provide the couple and their family with taxpayer-funded armed protection.

Last year, Harry lost a protracted court battle over what security he and his family would be entitled to while visiting the UK after automatic taxpayer-funded security was withdrawn when the couple stood down as working royals.

During the legal challenge against the Home Office, Harry said in his witness statement: "The UK is my home. The UK is central to the heritage of my children and a place I want them to feel at home as much as where they live at the moment in the US. That cannot happen if it's not possible to keep them safe when they are on UK soil. I cannot put my wife in danger like that and, given my experiences in life, I am reluctant to unnecessarily put myself in harm's way too."

A senior judge later ruled that his "sense of grievance" over the decision about his security was not sufficient as grounds for an appeal.

The prince later told the BBC that he "can't see a world" in which he would bring his family to the UK.

He was understood to be already awaiting a fresh risk-management assessment, but his new circumstances may now have to be factored in. Decisions on the security of royals are taken by the royal and VIP executive committee, an independent body overseen by the Home Office. The prime minister does not decide about security for the royal family.

After the couple left the UK, Harry was granted a "bespoke" security arrangement. He may no longer qualify for the level of protection he previously had as a working royal but he is a high-profile figure and former military serviceman who has served in Afghanistan, which may be considered in any assessment.

A Home Office spokesperson said: "The UK government's protective security system is rigorous and proportionate. It is our long-standing policy not to provide detailed information on those arrangements, as doing so could compromise their integrity and affect individuals' security."

In the US, the Sussexes paid for their own private security team.

There has been no statement from the Sussexes on why they are choosing to return to the UK, but a source close to them said they had had a great time during their visit in July, and that "stars are aligning with work" to make this a good time to move. This may include Harry's Invictus Games, which are to be held in Birmingham next year.

The couple intend to retain their properties in Montecito, California, and in Portugal. Meghan is expected to run her lifestyle brand As Ever from the UK, but it is not yet known whether she will begin undertaking charity visits as a non-working royal or embark on other ventures.

Harry has recently made it clear that he would like to spend more time with his father, who has cancer. Next year also marks the 30th anniversary of the death of his mother, Diana, which will include commemorations and events in the UK. Harry and his family stayed at home of Diana's family, the Spencers, in Althorp, Northamptonshire, during their visit to the UK last month.

A YouGov poll of 5,810 adults carried out the day after the Sussex's surprise news, showed 33% believe Harry and Meghan should not return to the UK, while 45% do not know. Less than a quarter (21%) are in favour of the Sussexes relocating to the UK.