The US and South Korean militaries were wrapping up their annual drills six days earlier than initially scheduled on Friday in a conciliatory gesture toward North Korea. This was reported by Qazaqyia.kz citing Associated Press.
US President Donald Trump had earlier abruptly ordered the Pentagon to "substantially reduce" the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises just before they began Monday. Trump cited what he described as a good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea's refusal to support him over the war in Iran.
Kim Yo Jong, the influential sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, brushed aside Trump's overture on Wednesday, saying "the provocative, aggressive nature of the drills" won't change only with the reduction of their duration and size.
The next day, North Korea fired about 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward the sea, apparently following through with its previous threat to respond to the US-South Korean drills that it views as an invasion rehearsal.
The US Pacific Command said the events didn't pose an immediate threat to US territory or its allies. The command said the US remains committed to the defense of the US homeland and its allies in the region.
Kim Yo Jong's statement dampened hopes for an early resumption of talks between Trump and Kim Jong Un, whose earlier nuclear diplomacy collapsed in 2019. Kim Jong Un has used the diplomatic stalemate to increase his leverage by modernizing his nuclear and missile programs and aligning with Russia over its war.
