The U.S. special envoy to Syria and ambassador to Turkey on Sunday walked back his comments from two days ago that Israel "still" occupies the Golan Heights in violation of U.N. resolutions, remarks that went against U.S. President Donald Trump's position on the disputed territory. This was reported by Qazaqyia.kz citing Associated Press.

Israel captured the Golan Heights from Syria in the 1967 Mideast war and annexed it in 1981. The United Nations and most of the international community consider the territory occupied Syrian land and does not recognize Israel's annexation of it.

In 2019, Trump recognized Israeli sovereignty over the territory, reversing decades of U.S. policy.

Ambassador Tom Barrack on Friday said that Israel "still" occupies the territory in an interview with Lebanese-Australian entrepreneur Mario Nawfal. Barrack now says that was a description of the territory's historical status, "not an endorsement of the United Nations' position" on the Golan.

"United States policy on the Golan was set by President Trump in 2019 and is unchanged," he said in a statement to The Associated Press on Sunday.

He said he intended to explain why he does not anticipate annexation in Lebanon, where Israeli forces are occupying parts of the south after the latest Israel-Hezbollah war, and to argue that negotiated agreements, rather than territorial maps, are more durable and that he had cited the Golan as an example that "territory taken by force remains contested for generations."

In the Friday interview, Barrack had also criticized Israel's strikes on an airbase in northern Syria earlier last week. Israeli officials said the strikes intended to prevent Turkey from establishing a presence at the base.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz defended the strikes, saying on X on Sunday that critics who initially called it "unnecessary and politically motivated" changed their position after the government said they were based on "clear intelligence" and at the recommendation of the Israeli army. He added that Israel would not allow Turkey "to establish itself in Syria and threaten Israeli security."

The strikes last Tuesday have highlighted growing tensions between Israel and Turkey over Ankara's increased influence in Syria following the fall of Bashar Assad. Turkey and Syria have denied that Turkish forces were due to be deployed at the Abu Duhur base.

Barrack's comments on the Golan also sparked a backlash in Washington. Florida Republican Sen. Rick Scott wrote on X that the ambassador appears to have "forgotten" Trump's recognition of Israeli sovereignty.